Fernwood soft tree fern substrate is made from the stem of a native New Zealand tree fern. In contrast to tree fern substrate from South America and Asia, substrate made from New Zealand tree fern is soft, spongy and has fantastic moisture-holding properties.
Fernwood soft tree fern substrate is perfect for creating a jungle floor in your tropical or sub-tropical terrarium or vivarium. It can also be used as a growing substrate for many different plant types including epiphytes, orchids and ferns. As it has the ability to retain moisture for a long period of time without bogging, it is also an excellent hydroponic substrate.
This soft tree fern Substrate has unique and natural properties including:
- Ability to retain moisture without becoming waterlogged.
- Well draining and good aeration.
- Slow to compost due to its natural antibacterial properties.
- Natural forest floor smell and texture encourages natural burrowing behaviour.
- Fibrous and soft.
- Natural look and colour. When wetted the substrate becomes a darker colour.
- Soft and porous for plant roots to easily grow through the fibre without becoming compacted.
- Natural capillary action works well when using flood trays for plant irrigation.
Note: This product is manufactured from New Zealand Tree Fern which is sustainably harvested from privately owned forests.
Interested in becoming a wholesale stockist? Our custom substrate range is available for wholesale customers in 2.5L, 8L and 40L bags for retail. For more information click here.
Shipping and Delivery
All orders are shipped via DPD Local Express 24. We aim to ship all orders within 1-3 working days. Plants are shipped Monday-Wednesday inclusive. Orders can be collected Mon-Fri 9am - 5pm.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.